Rescuing boxers for nearly 40 years          Kennel Club registered


web
design by peter gillies@tvbr 2017
please click here for our website menu

          

Thames Valley Boxer Rescue

Our
Huey  24/11/2004 - 29/4/2013

KEEP YOUR DOG AWAY FROM THESE KILLERS!



 

 

There are a very wide variety of things in and around us that are poisonous to dogs, some in the home and even more in the

   

garden.

 

 

 

If you think that your dog may have eaten, touched or inhaled something that it shouldn’t have, you should contact your Vet

   

for advice.

 

 

 

In some cases, an urgent visit to your Vet is needed but do not try to make your dog sick as this can cause other complications

   

which may harm your dog.


 

 

Below

are

list

s of

some of the various poisonous things

which

has been compiled by The Kennel Club.



I

N

T

HE

K

ITCHEN


Onions

 

Grapes


Raisins


Xylitol (a substance that is found in many Sugar Free Sweets)


Alcohol


Blue Cheese


Raw Bread Dough


Cooked Bones (not poisonous but can cause damage or death if swallowed)


Large amounts of Sugar or Sweets


Macadamia Nuts


Mouldy Foods


Multipurpose Cleaners


 

Bleach (a large number of instances of dogs having drunk Bleach comes by drinking from

  

recently treated toilet bowls or from buckets left around where Bleach is used to clean floors)


 

Detergents


Oven Cleaners


Dishwasher Tablets and Dishwasher Salt


Kettle Descalers


Metal Polish


 

Chocolate should be kept out of reach especially at Easter and Christmas.

 

(this includes Easter Eggs, Chocolate Coins,  Advent Calendrs, Boxes of Chocolate put out on Christmas Day)


 

Don’t forget the wrapped presents left under the Christmas Tree!

 

(just because it’s wrapped doesn’t mean that your dog can’t smell it!).





MEDICINES


Ibuprofen and other Non-Steroidal Anti-inflamatory Drugs (NSAIDs)


Oral Contraceptives


Paracetamol


Psoriasis Creams


Antidepressants


Aspirin


Blood Pressure Medications


Diabetes Medications


Heart Medications


Sleeping Tablets





IN THE GARDEN


Wild Mushrooms


Toadstools


Various Other Fungi


Spring Bulbs (Daffodils, Tulips, Crocus, etc)


Acorns


Compost


Mouldy Foods


Conkers


Foxgloves


Adders


Large Amounts Of Apple Seeds


Pesticides


Stones from Plums or Cherries


Yew Trees





IN THE GARDEN SHED


Antifreeze


Herbicides (Plant Killing Chemicals)


Rodenticides (Rat or Mouse Poisons)


Slug Pellets


Creosote


Fertilisers


Fuels for Lawn Mowers, Strimmers, etc:


Gloss Paints


Insecticides


White Spirit





OTHER GENERAL POISONS


Batteries


Carbon Monoxide (from faulty boilers or heaters)          


Potpourri


Nicotine from Cigars,Cigarettes, Nicotine Gums, E-Cigarettes and Patches


Blue-Green Algae (from Ponds, Streams, Lakes or Estuaries, etc)





S

EASONAL

C

ANINE

I

LLNESS

(SCI)



This was identified in 2009 and can affect some dogs taken for walks in woodland between August and September.


Symptoms are sickness, diarrhoea and lethargy which typically appears about 72 hours after walking in woodland.





ALABAMA ROT



This is an ilness caused by allowing your dog to run or play in muddy ponds or streams


AND IT CAN BE FATAL!