KEEP YOUR DOG AWAY FROM THESE KILLERS!
There are a very wide variety of things in and around us that are poisonous to dogs, some in the home and even more in the
If you think that your dog may have eaten, touched or inhaled something that it shouldn’t have, you should contact your Vet
In some cases, an urgent visit to your Vet is needed but do not try to make your dog sick as this can cause other complications
which may harm your dog.
some of the various poisonous things
has been compiled by The Kennel Club.
Xylitol (a substance that is found in many Sugar Free Sweets)
Raw Bread Dough
Cooked Bones (not poisonous but can cause damage or death if swallowed)
Large amounts of Sugar or Sweets
Bleach (a large number of instances of dogs having drunk Bleach comes by drinking from
recently treated toilet bowls or from buckets left around where Bleach is used to clean floors)
Dishwasher Tablets and Dishwasher Salt
Chocolate should be kept out of reach especially at Easter and Christmas.
(this includes Easter Eggs, Chocolate Coins, Advent Calendrs, Boxes of Chocolate put out on Christmas Day)
Don’t forget the wrapped presents left under the Christmas Tree!
(just because it’s wrapped doesn’t mean that your dog can’t smell it!).
Ibuprofen and other Non-Steroidal Anti-inflamatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
Blood Pressure Medications
IN THE GARDEN
Various Other Fungi
Spring Bulbs (Daffodils, Tulips, Crocus, etc)
Large Amounts Of Apple Seeds
Stones from Plums or Cherries
IN THE GARDEN SHED
Herbicides (Plant Killing Chemicals)
Rodenticides (Rat or Mouse Poisons)
Fuels for Lawn Mowers, Strimmers, etc:
OTHER GENERAL POISONS
Carbon Monoxide (from faulty boilers or heaters)
Nicotine from Cigars,Cigarettes, Nicotine Gums, E-Cigarettes and Patches
Blue-Green Algae (from Ponds, Streams, Lakes or Estuaries, etc)
This was identified in 2009 and can affect some dogs taken for walks in woodland between August and September.
Symptoms are sickness, diarrhoea and lethargy which typically appears about 72 hours after walking in woodland.
This is an ilness caused by allowing your dog to run or play in muddy ponds or streams
AND IT CAN BE FATAL!